06 Apr 7 things that contribute to the damage of your home
By Derek Strydom, Director at Apio
When you own your own home, it is important to attend to any routine maintenance issues that, if left unattended, may result in loss or damage to your property.
When it comes to insurance cover, any loss or damage that can be attributed to maintenance or upkeep of the property is not covered.
At Apio, we are seeing an enormous increase in maintenance-related losses being reported to our claims team. Some of the common factors contributing to the damage are:
- Rust on corrugated iron roofs;
- The build-up of dead leaves and the like, in gutters and on roofs;
- Gradual leaking showers, taps, baths, geysers and other water apparatuses;
- Skylight waterproofing degraded by the elements;
- Geyser thermostats and elements requiring replacement;
- Thatch roofs that have been weathered and not re-packed, combed or cleared of debris;
- Broken roof tiles.
There are many more things that can go wrong, but this list represents the most common issues from the claims we receive.
For advice specific to your situation, please contact your Apio consultant.