25 Jan Unpacking Cyber Threat
You’ve heard a lot about the increasing cyber threat and have considered insurance, but what exactly does it all mean. #TeamApio unpacks some of the terminologies here and measures to take to protect yourself.
Criminals can steal your identity by obtaining information about you so that they can convince a bank or customer service call centre that they are you.
This is when you are tricked into clicking on a malicious URL or email attachment so that they can steal your login details and potentially gain access to your financial accounts.
A hacker gains access to your computer and encrypts your files. The only way to get the files back is to pay the hijacker, usually in a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin.
Here are a few ways you can help protect yourself
- Keep up to date about cybercrime in articles like these – the more you know, the less likely you are to fall victim to an attempt.
- Use strong passwords with letters, symbols and numbers, do not write down your password and do not log in with your social media accounts.
- When it comes to online shopping, only use reputable sites and preferably those that begin with HTTPS as this means that the site is secure.
- Be wary of using hotspots and do not access your mobile banking on a WIFI hotspot.
- Do not reply to emails that claim that you have won money or received an inheritance.
- Do not share too much personal information on social media and regularly reconcile your bank statements.